Here is some news about a strange new technology that seems like it is right out of a science fiction movie. Scientists in Israel have made a remarkable discovery that may unlock memories after people die.
Dr. Ami Citri of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem was part of a team researching memory formation in mice. Discovering that good and bad memories are stored differently, she said, “Each memory that’s being encoded has a unique input in the brain in terms of the genes switched on to encode it.”1
The Daily Mail in the United Kingdom mentioned that this “technology opens the door to strange scenarios, similar to those portrayed in the [Netflix] series ‘Black Mirror’, where investigators can record and playback the memories of suspected criminals. It could even lead to a future in which police are able to read and replay memories of murder victims to help them piece together the events leading up to their death.”2
Elsewhere, scientists at the University of California at Berkeley are trying to decode people’s dreams and intentions.3 And in recent years, scientists have made strides in decoding thoughts. “In 2014, two scientists transmitted thoughts to each other using a brain-to-brain link. And other studies have shown that computers can ‘see’ what people are dreaming about, using only their brain activity.”4
Satan can’t read minds, but . . .
Satan cannot read our minds, but he can influence what we think. This is one of the methods in his spiritual war chest that he uses to lead us to evil. That is why Ephesians 6:11 tells us to put on the full armor of God, so we can resist his methods. Therefore, let me ask you what you think of this new mind-reading technology.
1. Is reading each other’s minds something that would be acceptable to God?
2. If Satan can’t read our minds now, is he guiding us to invent this tool, so he can use it against us?
3. If this is just a normal evolution in technology, will it benefit us to know what each other is thinking, or would it be used against us by evil people, evil corporations, and evil governments?
4. Maybe you have other ideas. If so, what are they?
Sooner or later, this is coming, whether we like it or not, so give it some thought and let us know what you think in the comments below.
Copyright © 2018, Dr. Ray Hermann
(Leave comments at the end, after References & Notes.)
References & Notes
1. Pinkstone, Joe, “Could the police replay murder victims’ memories after they die?” (Daily Mail, 11 April 2018), http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5603921/Your-memories-read-replayed-DIE.html
3. Smith, Kerri, “Mind-reading Technology Speeds Ahead,” (Scientific American, retrieved 12 April 2018, first published in Nature, 23 October 2013), https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/mind-reading-technology-speeds-ahead/
4. Ghose, Tia, “Mind-reading Computer Instantly Decodes People’s Thoughts,” (Live Science, 29 January 2016), https://www.livescience.com/53535-computer-reads-thoughts-instantaneously.html
6 thoughts on “Mind Reading & Retrieving Memories After Death: What Do You Think?”
I didn’t know the devil can’t read minds. You sure?
Satan and his army (they are all fallen angels) have more power and intelligence than us humans, but nowhere in the Bible is it stated Satan and his cronies can read our mind or even plant thoughts in our brain. They have been studying us for thousands of years, so they know our weaknesses and are very skilled at tempting us.
God created humans with free will, therefore we can choose not to fall for evil temptations. There is scripture to support demonic control, but that is only if a human allows that path, and it can’t happen to true Christians, who follow the advice given in the Bible. Of course, God can read our minds and the Bible states that fact (Psalm 139:4 is one of many examples) and he listens to our silent prayers. But Satan – no, not possible.
I am not certain by any means, nor do I have an exhaustive knowledge of the powers of Satan. I know that Satan has more power than one would normally find among human beings. At the same time, I know that Satan is not divine; he is not God, does not have divine powers or attributes. He is a creature with the limitations that are found normally with creatureliness.
Thank you for visiting our site and taking the time to comment. I agree that Satan is a creature with limitations. A good example is in the book of Job. Satan was limited in what he could do to Job and needed permission to attack his life. When Satan argued with God about what would happen if everything was taken away from Job, God said, “Very well, all that he has is in your power; only do not stretch out your hand against him!” (Job 1:12, NRSV)
Although Satan, the Devil, may not need permission for every act he executes on the planet Earth, he did have limitations in this situation.
wow. technology is moving fast. strange world. I don’t think god will ever let that happen. i can’t imagin not haveing thoughts that are private. Don’t know if i want to know what other people think. I sure don’t want them know what i think.
I’m with you; I don’t want everyone to know what I’m thinking, either. Thanks for the comment.